Saturday, June 30, 2012

Passport Rock City


            This past week I had the privilege of accompanying First Baptist Church of Gainesville, Georgia to the twentieth annual Passport camp in Wingate, North Carolina.  I myself have never felt completely comfortable in the “camp” environment, and was hesitant to attend, however, after spending the past six days at Passport, I know I am better for the experience.  In particular, a certain attitude towards Christian service and ministry was presented in a manner that is both practical and obedient to Christian Scripture and Tradition, yet somewhat foreign to many of the Evangelical gatherings that I have attended in the past.  Finding myself both convicted and refreshed that such a mentality exists, I have come back to Atlanta with a new attitude towards my role within the Body of Christ and my obligation to meet the needs of the helpless.
            When the “Watering Malawi” video came across the screen for the first time I thought to myself, Great, another video with big bold words rotating across the screen with an occasional orphan or puppy for added emotional leverage.  To be fair, I was spot on.  Sure, I would have probably given a few bucks just like everyone else, but a chord of annoyance had been struck deep within my being that was quite familiar.  It seems that the modern approach to Christian mission is to hold gatherings that costs tens of thousands of dollars, in an effort to send thousands of dollars to a particular agency, which will then fly hundreds of dollars to a remote village that needs a miracle no money can seem to buy.  Here we go again.
            Fortunately, my skepticism was destroyed only a few hours later.  Around noon the next day, I made my way with about twenty youth from various churches to the Habitat for Humanity Recycling Center.  Now I myself am far from green, but in an effort to produce capital for Habitat, I obliged.  Meanwhile, other groups were working with the YWCA of Wingate to mentor and minister to children from low-income families and rummaging through abandoned homes to auction off their findings.  The final project also benefited Habitat.  That night, as the night before and the nights that would follow, Malawi was mentioned again, but this time my pessimism had disappeared.  There seems to be something special about sending help to those in the far corners of the world, while simultaneously serving those at home.  These men and women weren’t concerned with just hitting the home run; they were making base hits all day long.
            It is one thing to write a check.  It is quite another thing to give of your time and energy.  At Passport, we had the opportunity to do both.  I find it terribly impractical to focus on a tragedy thousands of miles away while neglected the devastation down the block.  At the same time, we live in a world that is lost and dying, both spiritually and physically.  There is no reason that we cannot help our neighbor, be they Malawians or Carolinians.  The important thing to remember is that we are not required to choose only one, or to neglect our neighbor next door for the well being of the family at the end of the cul-de-sac.   
            I myself am a skeptic and always have been.  Sadly, I tend to see the glass half empty, and criticize those who I find impractical.  Of course I am not proud of this, but it is a character flaw that I am not ignorant of.  Considering this disposition, it as all the more powerful to recognize the disappearance of my hesitations.  This week left me no choice but to gladly embrace the cause in Malawi.  No longer does the excuse of focusing on what is local allow me to reject that which is global.  We can do both, and the lives of those both near and far are dependent upon our action. 

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for widows and orphans in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.  James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment